- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- ¼ tsp dried crushed red pepper
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2/3 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 lbs ground beef
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add the garlic, celery, and ½ the onion and cook until celery is soft.
- Add crushed tomatoes and dried crushed pepper then stir for 20 minutes until it simmers. Add in basil.
- In a bowl, mix together the ground beef, eggs, garlic, 1/2 cup of the sauce, Parmesan cheese, onion and breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly grease a rectangle pan, then add in the meat mixture. Add a 1/2 cup of the sauce on top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until meat reaches internal temperature of 160°F. Remove from oven.
- Add mozzarella cheese on top, then return to oven. Bake until cheese melts, then remove and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve warm.
You can find more dinner recipes.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know how it turned out in the comments below!