Healthy Chicken Parmesan is the ultimate quick, weeknight recipe. We often make this one because it is a healthy recipe, but also filling. And when you’re trying to cut out all the carbs, the last thing you want is a meal that leaves you wanting all the carbs. The crust is always crispy through a pan-sear and then a short bake to cook the chicken the whole way through.
We opt for using gluten-free bread crumbs most of the time. We always have a jar in the cabinet and it always passes the taste test (as in we can’t tell the difference!). The Italian seasoning adds a little more flavor to the breading than only salt and pepper alone, though feel free to add a little more or less depending on your tastebuds.
This recipe has quite a few steps, but each step is easily manageable. Plus, if you end up eating this recipe more than once, it turns out to be really easy to maneuver through some of the steps simultaneously. And feel free to use any type of sauce. Our favorite is vodka sauce, but we used a lovely tomato and basil flavor for these photos.
We have a KitchenAid Mixer with the spiralizer attachment to easily make the zucchini noodles. We also have a handheld spiralizer, but it often ends up hurting if we have more than two zucchinis. And zucchini is our very favorite substitute to use in place of any pasta.
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2-3 zucchini, chopped or spiralized
- 24 oz. jar spaghetti sauce of choice
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp flour
- ½ tbsp pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Mix bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, baking soda, flour and pepper in a medium bowl
- Whisk the eggs in a second bowl
- Clean chicken. Dip chicken in egg, then dip both sides
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil to pan. Cook chicken 3-4 minutes per side over medium heat.
- Move the chicken to a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Heat the spaghetti sauce on low in a saucepan until warm.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan. Cook zucchini over medium heat until cooked through.
- Once chicken is done, top with 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese. Broil for 2 minutes.
- Assembly: place zucchini on plate, add chicken on top, then top with sauce.
If this healthy chicken parmesan isn’t your thing, then please check out some other chicken recipes here.