Carrot Fries? Yes, carrot fries. You buy a bunch of carrots and slice them down into fry-size pieces. You easily season then with olive oil and your choice of seasonings, then bake them until they they are slightly crispy. If you don’t like the taste of the za’atar seasoning, then feel free to use your spice of choice.
I found a pasta recipe that used za’atar seasoning and I found the flavor fascinating. It is used in Mediterranean dishes. It really spices up the bland flavor of the plain carrots and really leaves you wanting more.
- 6 large carrots, peeled and sliced into thin fries
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon za'atar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat your oven to 425º F.
- Place the carrot sticks in a large bowl. Add the olive oil, za'atar, and garlic powder. Stir until the carrot fries are well-coated.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the carrot fries on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake the fries for about 20 minutes. When the fries are browned and crispy, remove from the oven.
Carrot fries, with or without za’atar, is a healthy alternative side dish. When you’re tired of zucchini noodles and cauliflower rice, then turn to carrots! And if you like the seasoning and want to branch out, then try using it on sweet potato fries. Yum!