Last summer my husband and I started our first dive into the ketogenic diet world. This was one of our first casseroles we tried out and ended up loving because of how quick it was to make. Several adaptations later, this taco casserole is a once-a-month staple when we need a go-to meal during the week.
Any can of dice tomatoes will work, but we like to add in a little more spice with the chilies. One thing to watch out for is the added water that the tomatoes create in the casserole. You can either drain the liquid from the can before adding it in, or you can try to drain it out after (which is a little more difficult). You can find other dinner recipe ideas here.
- 2 lb. 80/20 ground beef
- 3/4 yellow onion, chopped
- 1.5 tsp. chili powder
- 1.5 tsp. cumin
- 1.5 tsp. garlic powder
- 1.5 tsp. paprika
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mexican cheese
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 6 oz. can sliced black olives
- 1 avocado
- 1 tomato
- Cook the ground beef in a large skillet, then drain the fat. Add the chopped onion, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and paprika to the skillet then stir to combine.
- Move the mixture to a 2 quart baking dish.
- Mix the cheeses together with the drained tomatoes and olives. Spread the mixture over the meat.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Serve it with a diced tomato and avocado!
My favorite toppings to add to this are sour cream, a fresh roma tomato and an avocado. It is delicious!